Monday, July 22, 2013

Quinoa Salad

Today I bring you quinoa, one of our favorite meals. Quinoa is a grain-like seed that is similar in size and texture to couscous but is a complete protein. It's a great alternative for those nights you don't feel like meat or when you need a light meal. My husband and I enjoy it and eat it regularly. This is our favorite way to make and eat it!

Quinoa Salad Mediterranean Style
1 cup quinoa (uncooked)
1 cup chicken stock or water
1 pepper (any color)
1/2 box grape/cherry tomatoes or two Roma tomatoes
1 small jar or 1/2 can artichoke hearts (I get the marinated kind)
1/4 cup kalamata olives (chopped, 1/2 cup un-chopped)
4 scallions (include green ends)
1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp black pepper

Some people suggest you rinse the quinoa before cooking as it can have a "soapy" flavor otherwise. I always used to until I forgot one time and realized that it didn't make a bit of difference, so I don't bother any more. 
Cook the quinoa as you would rice. I like to use chicken stock to give it a little more flavor, but vegetable stock or water works just as well. 

Chop the veggies etc into small, bite sized pieces. I chop the scallions extra fine. Other than the measurements for the quinoa, the rest is all to taste. You can obviously change the amounts of any of these ingredients, add your own or take away what you do not like. If you choose to add a dash of salt, watch how much you put in as the olives and feta cheese are quite salty. I find that between the two there is no need to add extra salt. 

Mix all the ingredients together and enjoy! I go ahead and mix it while the quinoa is warm. We eat it warm or cold, it is good both ways. This quantity makes enough for dinner for the two of us and then lunch the next day. 

I used orange pepper this time. Sometimes I use a mixture which makes it extra pretty and tasty! My husband came home from work  starving and I completely forgot to take a photo of it all mixed together. Next time! 

There are lots of different ways to make quinoa. I'd love to hear how you like to make it or how you like it if you try it out for the first time! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment