Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Quinoa Pancakes with Berry Sauce and Cinnamon Coffee

Today is another snow day! We got a foot of snow last night! Now, as an upstate New York gal, a foot is nothing, however it is a huge deal in Virginia! The police are asking that everyone stay off the roads and everything is shut down. In NY we still went to school when there was three feet of snow! I do realize that Virginia is not as equipped to handle this much snow, however I still get a little chuckle out of it. The kids here must be thrilled. I know my Florida born husband is :)

I decided it was the perfect day to make quinoa pancakes smothered in berry sauce and some cinnamon coffee. I love these pancakes because they are pretty healthy for a pancake. I love that I have a recipe I can feel good about serving my children :) If you have not jumped on the quinoa bandwagon yet, now is a great time to do it! I grew up eating quinoa, but have just recently began to explore new recipes using it. I eat it for breakfast with yogurt and throw it in soups, as well as pancakes! It adds a bit of protein which is awesome. You can read more about quinoa here.



Cinnamon Coffee ~ simple and delicious. Just add a dash of cinnamon to your ground coffee before brewing. This morning I added a dash of nutmeg too! 

Quinoa Pancakes
3/4 cup flour (whole wheat or white)
1 cup COOKED quinoa (I used red in this recipe but you can use any color quinoa)
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1-2 Tbs sugar (white or brown - I like brown)
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup yogurt (I like to use greek plain or vanilla - you could get crazy and add a flavored yogurt!)
1 Tbs milk or water

Mix all the dry ingredients then add the quinoa. Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl then add to the dry. Stir until combined but do not over mix. Cook as you would "regular" pancakes and top with berry sauce. See recipe below.
Cooked red quinoa
Flip when you see bubbles on the sides and top of the pancakes

Mmm delicious!


Berry Sauce
2 cups frozen berries (I used mixed berries)
1/2 cup water + 1 Tbs 
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 tsp cornstarch

Put berries, 1/2 cup water and maple syrup in a sauce pan. Turn on medium. Mix together the cornstarch and 1 Tbs water. When the berry mixture is boiling add the cornstarch mixture and stir vigorously to avoid lumps. Allow to thicken slightly then take off the heat. Pour over your golden pancakes and enjoy!!


I hope you enjoy these pancakes as much as my family and I do! 
I'd love to hear how you use quinoa in your cooking and baking :)





No comments:

Post a Comment